Earth Day 2022: Creating a Sustainable Future at Hallmark
In honour of Earth Day 2022, we’re sharing our stance on green cleaning and the steps we’ve taken to create a sustainable future. After all, it’s up to all of us to protect our planet, and commercial cleaning is no exception.
Earth Day may be just one day a year, but being a green company is something we focus on 365 days a year, and at every level of our organization. Keep reading to take a peek behind the curtain of our policies and practices and find out exactly what we’re doing to reduce our footprint on this incredible planet we call home.
Sustainable Product and Material Purchases
We don’t just talk the talk—we mop it too. Hallmark Housekeeping Services is a leader in green cleaning; we work with our suppliers to choose environmentally friendly products and materials that we’re proud to use in our clients’ facilities.
Beyond using cleaning products that meet third-party environmental certifications, we’ve found other ways to make sustainability and green cleaning a priority in our supply purchasing:
- Our mops are made of microfiber yarn and synthetic fibers derived from plastic bottles
- Our dusting sheets are made from a minimum of 60% recycled content
- Our Ready-to-Dispense (RTD) containers replace an average of 60 plastic bottles, which also saves on transportation, packaging, and disposal
Steps like these matter: Canadians produce a whopping 3.3 million tonnes of plastic waste per year, and only 9% of plastic gets recycled. Reducing and reusing plastic is a key step in protecting our environment, which is why Hallmark sources sustainable cleaning products and materials.
A Focus on Innovation
At Hallmark, we’re constantly adapting. Whether that’s finding more efficient cleaning methods or sourcing high-performance green products, we’re paving the way for cleaning companies to adopt more sustainable practices.
Some of our most innovative technologies include:
- Lotus PRO: this technology stabilizes aqueous ozone on-the-spot at our sites, to safely and effectively clean and sanitize all types of surfaces. It’s a powerful technology that reduces the use of harsher cleaning chemicals without sacrificing cleanliness.
- Sensor technology: we have partnered with forward-thinking vendors to implement smart sensors in many of our contract locations. When sensors are used to monitor consumable levels like paper and soap, we can reduce waste and ensure supplies are always well-stocked. The sensors can also monitor occupant traffic, cleaner activity, and even confirm if a space has been serviced and disinfected.
- Centralized waste: strategic sorting stations can help encourage proper recycling and reduce waste and the use of plastic liners, all while boosting health and contributing to a more satisfactory cleaning service.
We’re always on the hunt for innovative products, equipment, and technologies, and we thoroughly test and evaluate each before introducing them to our clients.
Sustainability in Our Supply Chain
Sustainability should be built into everything we do in order to make a lasting difference. Here at Hallmark, we don’t just choose sustainable products: we consider sustainability in every facet of our company, including vendor relationships.
This is why we choose our partners carefully; we only work with those that prioritize sustainability and offer cutting-edge green cleaning solutions. And we take these partnerships seriously. After all, they allow us to work with highly recognized, third-party environmental certifications such as Green Seal and UL Ecologo certification, and they ensure that we stay at the forefront of the green cleaning standards, products, and technology that bolster the health and safety of buildings while protecting the environment.
Save the Bees Initiative
We’re buzzing with excitement over our Save the Bees initiative. Bees support every aspect of the ecosystem and protecting them is a vital part of protecting the Earth. Without bees, we wouldn’t have anywhere near the diversity of species we do now, and life would look very different. In fact, a staggering one-third of the world’s food supply relies on bees.
That’s why we’ve chosen to raise bees at our office. By giving these hardworking insects a home, we hope to support their populations and do our part for the ecosystem.
The Hallmark of Green Cleaning
Earth Day 2022 is a celebration of our amazing planet and the steps we’ve taken to protect it, but it’s also a reminder of what’s left to do. Hallmark Housekeeping Services has made green cleaning and being a leader in sustainability personal; it’s a priority in everything we do, from the products and practices we choose to the partners we pair with.
Our We Clean Green™ program was designed to help our clients achieve and maintain LEED, WELL, and other sustainability certifications while maintaining the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation in their buildings.
Everyone has a responsibility to do their part, and Hallmark is proud of our commitment to sustainability and green cleaning. Contact us today to find out how we can transform your cleaning program and put the green in your clean.
Happy Earth Day 2022!